Close

Forgot your password?

Choose a newsletter




Premium access provided by ENSTA

Your premium access provided by ENSTA

Enter your email to begin

Premium access granted to you by NRC Q

You been given free premium access to Worldcrunch for 8 weeks thanks to NRC Q.

Enter your email to begin

Premium access granted to you by EM-LYON

You been given free premium access to Worldcrunch for 8 weeks thanks to EM-LYON.

Enter your email to begin

Premium access granted to you by Goldsmiths

You been given free premium access to Worldcrunch for 8 weeks thanks to Goldsmiths.

Enter your email to begin

Premium access granted to you by MinnPost

You been given free premium access to Worldcrunch for 8 weeks thanks to MinnPost.

Enter your email to begin

Premium access granted to you by Expatica

You've been given FREE premium access to Worldcrunch

Enter your email to begin

Worldcrunch

Egypt Says Cairo Police Kill Suspect In Benghazi Consulate Attack

AP, CBS (USA)

Worldcrunch

CAIRO - Egyptian official sources say a militant suspected of involvement in the deadly U.S. consulate attack in Benghazi was killed in clashes in Cairo.

An Egyptian interior ministry source told CBS News on Thursday that the suspect in Egypt, known only by his first name, Hazem, was killed after neighbors summoned police about a suspicious resident. Security forces came in and exchanged fire with the man, before he blew himself up.

The news comes a day after AP reported charges filed against a Tunisian man who was arrested in Turkey this month with reported links to the same attack last month that killed four U.S. embassy employees.

Suspect Ali Harzi was repatriated on Oct. 11 by authorities in Turkey and was charged this week with "membership of a terrorist organization in a time of peace in another country."

Although Harzi is not is not considered to be one of the ring leaders of the Benghazi attack, AP reports that his court dossier links him to the Sep. 11 attack on the U.S. consulate that left Ambassador Christopher Stevens and three other Americans dead.

The communication fiasco surrounding the Benghazi killings remains a thorn in President Obama’s reelection campaign. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton cautioned that a newly released series of e-mails sent by the State Department during the attack on the U.S. consulate in Libya was "not in and of itself evidence" that the administration had assessed the assault as a terrorist attack from the beginning, despite describing it as a protest gone awry five days later.

The account of the Benghazi tragedy has become a campaign target for Republican challenger Mitt Romney and GOP lawmakers, who accuse the White House of misleading Americans about the nature of the attack.

Sign up for our Worldcrunch Weekly newsletter now


Be a part of the conversation. Click to show comments
About this article source Website:

Load More Stories

Unlimited access to exclusive journalism, the best world news source across all your devices

Subscribe Now Photo of Worldcrunch on different devices

Your premium access to Worldcrunch is provided by

University of Central Lancashire

Please register to begin


By registering you agree to our terms of service and privacy policy.