LA TERCERA (Chile)
SANTIAGO Emergency workers in Chile have pulled off another daring mine rescue, lifting two men to safety early Wednesday morning from a partially collapsed coal pit in the town of Colonel.
The rescue comes nearly two years after the world was captivated by the drama of Chiles los 33, a group of 33 miners who were saved after spending more than two months underground.
This time, the miners Richard Pérez Jara, 21, and Reinaldo Brevis Jaque, 39 had been trapped for just 22 hours, La Tercera reported. They appear to be unharmed.
At 2:12 a.m. they were reunited with their families. It was a very emotional scene, said Regional Governor Victor Lobos. Theyre in perfect health. They came out in good spirits. They seemed a bit dehydrated and tired, but very happy, with fixed expressions on their faces, as if nothing had happened.
Authorities have temporarily shut the Colonel mine pending an investigation into the accident. If its determined that there was a security lapse or negligence, we will apply fines and sanctions that are proportional to the mistakes that were made, said Lobos.
Read the original article in Spanish